Coconut oil, which often is more solid and more like a butter, is probably one of the most versatile ingredients that you can use in homemade skin and hair care. Whenever possible, get extra-virgin organic oil – never ever buy the cheap raffined stuff they sell in the grocery shops.
- Coconut oil is very moisturizing for the skin. It has a higher melting point than many other vegetable oils, and is therefore a good ingredient to use in products that need to be a bit more solid, such as lip balms.
- Can be used as a face oil, however it’s not recommended, as many people experience cosmetic acne after using the oil in their face.
- Applying coconut oil to the feet two-three times daily will help treat athlete’s foot. As an added bonus, your feet will be moisturized and the oil will also help in odor control.
- Use as a makeup remover. Apply to a cotton pad and swipe the makeup off.
- Coconut oil is very moisturizing for the hair and can be used as such as a hair oil or as an ingredient in hair masks.
- Apply a small amount in the lengths of hair to add shine and to fight frizzy hair.
- Is a common ingredient in homemade deodorant.