- 2 tbs solid shea butter
- 1 tbs mint infused coconut oil
- 1 tbs olive oil
- dried rose petals, fresh rosemary
- 1 ml (or 1 capsule) vitamin E (optional)
- about 7 drops each of lime essential oil and lavender essential oil
Variations: You don’t need the vitamin E but it increases the shelf life and is great for dry skin. Instead of olive oil you can use any other vegetable oil that you like, such as almond oil, avocado oil, jojobaoil or apricot oil! For essential oils and herbs, take anything you like the smell of (and they are completely optional)
- start by melting the shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler. The coconut oil can be solid or runny, it’s all the same, just try to find some unraffined coconut oil/fat.
- Add in the vegetable oil and if you like, some fresh or dried herbs. If you are using herbs, heat the mixture for about 20 minutes, then strain carefully and don’t forget to squeeze out the last of the oil from the herbs. If not, move on to the next step as soon as the butters have melted.
- Remove from heat, and let cool. When the mixture is 30C or cooler, you can add the essential oils and vitamin E.
- Whip the butter until it gets thick and fluffy. You’ll need to do this for at least 5-10 minutes. If it’s feeling hopeless, let the batch cool for a bit longer until it’s starting to solidify, then try again.
- Use a spatula to put the body butter in jars.