OCM is the process of washing your face with vegetable oil, one of which is castor oil. It’s a great way of washing your face and clearing it of any blemishes; if you use this method a couple of times a week, you will definitely soon see a clear difference with more radiant, smooth skin.
How it works
The thought of using oils to clear your skin of blemishes can seem counter-intuitive – isn’t it oily skin that gives you acne in the first place? That’s true, and that is exactly why you need to supply oil to the skin. The reason why your skin gets blemished is that it produces excess oil. So, if you provide your skin with external oil, it will not need to produce as much oil. Which leads to clear skin. It’s as simple as that.
OCM is, however, not only for those with oily skin. Anybody will benefit from using OCM, because you can make your own personal blend of castor oil and another vegetable oil, that will be perfect for you whether you have dry skin or problem skin.
How to do it
When using OCM, there is no need to wash off any makeup, not even waterproof mascara. The oils will take care of that!
First, get your castor oil. Then, get another vegetable oil. Olive oil is, as always, great. Other oils you can use include (but are not limited to) sunflower seed oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, canola oil or grapeseed oil. Then, get a washcloth. Then, go into your bathroom. Then, you’re ready to go!
Now you mix your castor oil with other oil. The amount of castor oil in the blend should be relative to your skin type. Here’s something to start with.
Oily skin equal parts castor oil and vegetable oil
Balanced skin 1 part castor oil to 2 parts vegetable oil
Dry skin 1 part castor oil to 3 parts vegetable oil
This is something to go by, but once you get the hang of OCM, try a few different ratios to find what’s perfect for you. Either, you can pre-mix a bottle of castor oil and vegetable oil, or mix it in your hands each time. When you have found the ratio that you love, get a bottle and mark with lines up to where the castor oil goes and the vegetable oil goes – and you’ll never have to measure again! Now, here’s how you do the OCM, step by step:
- Pour a generous amount of oil into the palm of your hand (I’d say at least 1 or 2 tablespoons).
- Apply the oil to your unwashed face and massage it carefully for about 5 minutes so that the oil is well absorbed into the skin.
- Turn on your faucet and get some hot water. The water should be really hot, but not so hot that you’re scalding yourself of course.
- Soak your washcloth in the running water, wring it out slightly and apply it to your face.
- Leave it on just for a minute or so, or until the washcloth is cold
- Repeat steps 4 and 5, once or twice.
- Scrub your face lightly with the washcloth
- Splash some cold water in your face or use a facial toner. This will close the pores that were just opened by the hot water.
- If you have dry skin or just feel like it you can apply a little bit of OCM oil to your face and neck.
This can be done once every day, although most people find it enough to use twice or three times a week.
Warning: The first weeks there might be a little bit of acne breakout when you’re using OCM. This is normal, as the skin is trying to adapt to this new method and will try to get rid of nasty stuff. Just hold on tight, keep doing OCM and after not too long your face will have cleared up, smoother and more perfect than you could ever imagine!